DescriptionThe Sisters (of Mercy) were asked to set up a convent in Kumara. The Sister took over the Parish school in 1889. The school was in a cottage. In 1878 there were 180 children enrolled at the school. However, by 1970 there were only 23 children attending the school roll, and so the Sisters decided to close the school.Location (city or town)KumaraMap[1]
West Coast New Zealand History (26th Mar 2015). Kumara Convent (St Patrick’s School). In Website West Coast New Zealand History. Retrieved 19th Mar 2026 11:03, from https://westcoast.recollect.co.nz/nodes/view/22